Exciting speakers confirmed for Dance UK’s National Choreographers’ Conference
Date Mon 25 March 2013
Choreography and Collaboration, a day long Dance UK conference
Saturday 11 May at Sadler’s Wells, London
£30 Dance UK members, £55 non-members (including Dance UK membership)
To book: visit http://www.danceuk.org/shop/events
The National Choreographers’ Conference, organised by Dance UK on behalf of the Choreographers’ Professional Network, is taking place on Saturday 11 May 2013 at Sadler’s Wells. The theme of the conference is Choreography and Collaboration.
This conference is the only national event open to all choreographers regardless of the stage they are at in their career or area of dance they work in. It offers a forum for choreographers and teachers of choreography to take part in artistic debate, air concerns and network with fellow choreographers in a non-competitive environment. Through discussions and demonstrations, inspiring industry professionals will share their expertise and participants will have the opportunity to ask questions and discuss topics.
There is already a fantastic line-up of speakers (with more names still to be announced in the coming weeks). Speakers confirmed to date include:
- Javier de Frutos and Rufus Norris
- A celebration of choreography in the Olympic Ceremonies: Temujin Gill and Sunanda Biswas, who co-choreographed the Olympic Opening Ceremony NHS sequence together with other Olympic choreographers, including Kenrick Sandy (Boy Blue Ent.) and more to be announced shortly, will discuss their experiences working on the amazing London 2012 spectacular
- Liam Steel talks about choreographing the film Les Miserables
- Paul Jackson (Programme leader Choreography and Dance at Winchester University) will interview legendary choreographer Bob Cohan about his collaboration with composers
- Choreographer/Movement Director and film maker Francesca Jaynes (whose work includes choreographing for films by Tim Burton, Steven Spielberg, Mike Leigh, Ron Howard and many others) appears in conversation with theatre director Peter Rowe talking about their long-term collaborative relationship
- International production designer and art director Michael Howells who is long-term collaborator with Mark Baldwin, Artistic Director of Rambert Dance Company, and is credited with realising some of the most spectacular and ambitious sets in film, fashion and opera and has worked with high-profile designers including Christian Lacroix and Alexander McQueen, talks about his approach to collaboration in wildly differing creative contexts
- The New Movement Collective, a collection of new generation choreographers who have a long collaborative history in dance, architecture, film and music, talk about their creative approach.
- Leading international opera and film choreographer Stuart Hopps, who has worked with companies including Welsh National Opera and Opera Australia, presents a film of Bessie Schonberg, the highly influential dancer, choreographer and teacher at the heart of 20th century contemporary dance, talking about her approach to developing choreographers.
- Dr Joan Duda, Professor of Sports Psychology Department at University of Birmingham, presents on how choreographers can create a positive creative environment when working with dancers
- Lou Rogers and Lucy Bennett of StopGap Dance Company discuss integrated dance choreography for dancers with and without disabilities
- Holly Noble & Jane Coulston – Female Choreographers Collective
- Tony Thatcher – Programme Leader, MA Choreography at Trinity Laban, will be giving a lecture demonstration including a sharing of two students work
- Lucie Pankhurst – Choreographer and Movement Director
To book tickets for this exciting conference, visit Dance UK’s online shop: http://www.danceuk.org/shop/events